THE COMMUNITY PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE
COMPLETING THE VISION
December 2014. Click here to read the project update.
What is the Community Performing Arts Centre?
The completion of the Community Performing Arts Centre is in the planning stages at the Port Theatre. The purpose of this longtime project is to provide affordable performance and rehearsal space to local arts organizations throughout Nanaimo and the Region, provide excellent facilities for professional arts organizations to thrive, and to create an intimate venue to attract national and international touring professionals.
Our objectives for building this addition are:
- To provide long term sustainable performance and rehearsal spaces for the community,
- To provide affordable, professional spaces for local user groups,
- To encourage creative diversity throughout Nanaimo and the region,
- To support professional artists and cultural workers within the community,
- To attract national and international touring professionals to Nanaimo.
The proposed facilities will include:
- 50-220 seat flexible, purpose-built performance space:
- Acoustically tunable as a concert hall,
- Classic black-box theatre setting,
- Intimate cabaret setting,
- Retractable seating for flat floor use.
- Rehearsal spaces:
- 2 separate spaces available to the community,
- Can be used as performance venues with production capabilities,
- Can be used for meetings, workshop or master classes,
- Sprung floors suitable for dance,
- 1 space at main stage level can be used in conjunction with Port Theatre events.
- Additional services:
- Washrooms on south side of existing Port Theatre,
- Small catering kitchen,
- Extra loading space for main stage,
- Additional lobby space accessible via Diana Krall Plaza.
Read the Businesss Plan.
Still have questions? Read our Updated FAQ (Dec, 2014)
Please note that more resources will be added to this page as they become available.