THE PORT THEATRE YOUTH ARTS INITIATIVE 2016
A crash course in arts administration and curation, putting youth on stage and behind-the-scenes for National Youth Arts Week
Imagine you are a young person with access to a breathtaking 800-seat performing arts venue. Imagine you get an exclusive behind-the-scenes look into the making of a free concert featuring young local musicians and a professional Canadian act. Imagine you get to help create this event for an audience of your peers, surrounded by your community, celebrating youth and the arts in Nanaimo.
You’ve just imagined The Port Theatre Society’s 2nd annual Free Youth Arts Week event. This free National Youth Arts Week kick-off concert will feature a professional Canadian headlining act, local musicians, free food, and fun intended to bring together youth of all ages and backgrounds to celebrate youth and the arts in Nanaimo, BC.
What is the Youth Arts Initiative?
The Port Theatre’s Youth Arts Initiative is a three-part program that invites passionate youth in our community to create, participate in and enjoy a Youth Arts Week event in our theatre in Spring 2016.
1. Select youth get the chance to explore career options in the arts through behind-the-scenes programming workshops with professional arts administrators. They will learn every aspect of presenting live performance in our theatre and get exclusive behind-the-scenes access into the making of AMP IT UP!
2. Local youth musicians will be chosen to play alongside a professional headlining act in front of their peers and community, get paid for doing what they love, and learn more about what it takes to pursue a career as a musician.
3. Outreach to local youth and the community at large aims to break down barriers to inclusion and bring together like-minded youth under one roof for a night of great music, fun and celebration.
Photo: 2014-15 Youth Arts Initiative Spencer, Vivian, Miranda, Aislinn, Nathaniel, Lindsay and group coordinator Melanie Godel.
2014-15 Pilot Project - PRESS
- Nanaimo News Bulletin - "Learning The Ropes" - June 5, 2015
- Local Loves Nanaimo - Events Recap: The Port Theatre's Youth Arts Initiative Free Concert - May 19, 2015
- Nanaimo News Bulletin - "Vancouver band climbs above the peak" - May 11, 2015
- Nanaimo Daily News - "Arts Week Celebrated with Music" - May 8, 2015
- Local Loves Nanaimo - Events: The Port Theatre's Youth Arts Initiative Free Concert - May 7, 2015
- The Navigator - "The Port Theatre Puts Youth in Charge" - April 9, 2015
- The Navigator - "Gold & Shadow coming to the Port Theatre" - April 9, 2015
The Youth Arts Initiative is made possible with funding from the BC Arts Council's Community Presenter Youth Engagement Program and Island Savings.