Reimagining the future of
Arts & Culture in Nanaimo
What is the future of arts and culture in downtown Nanaimo?
The completion of the Community Performing Arts Centre is on hold. The purpose of this longtime project is to provide affordable performance and rehearsal space to local arts organizations throughout Nanaimo and the Region, provide excellent facilities for professional arts organizations to thrive, and to create an intimate venue to attract national and international touring professionals.
Project Update 2020
The plans for this expansion are on hold.
Our objectives for building this addition are:
- To provide long term sustainable performance and rehearsal spaces for the community,
- To provide affordable, professional spaces for local user groups,
- To encourage creative diversity throughout Nanaimo and the region,
- To support professional artists and cultural workers within the community,
- To attract national and international touring professionals to Nanaimo.
The proposed facilities will include:
50-220 seat flexible, purpose-built performance space:
- Acoustically tunable as a concert hall,
- Classic black-box theatre setting,
- Intimate cabaret setting,
- Retractable seating for flat floor use.
- 2 separate, fully equipped spaces with production capabilities,
- Available for workshops, master classes, and other alternative uses,
- Sprung floors suitable for dance,
- 1 space at main stage level can be used in conjunction with Port Theatre events.
- Washrooms on south side of existing Port Theatre,
- Small catering kitchen,
- Extra loading space for main stage,
- Additional lobby space accessible via Diana Krall Plaza.
The Community Performing Arts Centre completion has a projected cost of $22mil
The City of Nanaimo has applied for $15.5mil in funding through the Provincial Govt.’s New Building Canada, Infrastructure Funding
The Port Theatre Society has committed to raising $2mil
The City of Nanaimo has committed $4.6mil to the project